The Desert and the Sea: 977 Days Captive on the Somali Pirate Coast (PDF) is a magnificent memoir/reportage by Michael Scott Moore.
In January 2012, having covered a Somali pirate trial in Hamburg for Spiegel Online International—and funded by a grant from the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting—Michael Scott Moore traveled to the Horn of Africa to write about piracy and ways to end it. In a terrible twist of fate, Moore himself was kidnapped and subsequently held captive by Somali pirates…Caught between Muslim pirates, the looming threat of Al-Shabaab, and the rise of ISIS, Moore observes the worlds that surrounded him—the economics and history of piracy; the effects of post-colonialism; the politics of hostage negotiation and ransom; while also conjuring the various faces of Islam—and places his ordeal in the context of the larger political and historical issues.
- Title: The Desert and the Sea: 977 Days Captive on the Somali Pirate Coast
- Author: Michael Scott Moore
- Publisher: Harper Wave
- Date Published: 2018-07-24
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0062449192
- ISBN-13: 9780062449191
To learn on How To Download the eBook PDF files, check this post.
Some tips if you cannot access the file hosting sites above because they are blocked:
- Try using proxy services. (Search for "proxy" in Google.)
- Use add-ons for your browser. (Search for "chrome addons proxy" or "firefox add ons proxy.)
- Changing the DNS setting in your Internet Properties.